Monday, May 28, 2007

First Look at The Joker and Iron Man

I'm a sucker for super hero films. Despite my disappointment with the final installment of the Spiderman series, i remain hopeful with the upcoming comic titles turned movies.


Dark Knight, which comes out next year, will have Christian Bale reprising his role as Batman (wuhooo!). It will be directed again by Christopher Nolan (yeheeey!). This time, Batman will face his worst arch-enemy, the Joker, played by Heath Ledger. As for the question of why he's playing a super-villain while most of his fellow Hollywood leading men are looking to play superheroes, Ledger explains, "It's just the tights and undies that I have a problem with, and the boots. I would just feel stupid and silly. I couldn't pull it off and there are other people who can perfectly, but I just couldn't take myself seriously. And I feel like this is an opportunity for me to not take myself too seriously, and for some reason I just gravitated towards [the Joker] and I knew I had something to give to him. And I just instantly had an idea of how to do it."

With production under way on Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr. is fully immersed in the world of the Armored Avenger and has come to believe that the character is more human than his fellow superheroes. "He's a superhero who is just a man," Downey told about Iron Man's alter ego, billionaire industrialist Tony Stark. "Not that I wouldn't play a guy who got bit by a spider or who has some freaky connection with bats, but I think this is a little more accessible. Downey added, "I guess that when Stan Lee created the character back in the mid-1960s -- to see if he could base a superhero on a hard-partying, womanizing billionaire who manufactures weapons, and still make him likeable enough to sell comic books -- he clearly won his bet."

In Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, the Fantastic Four meets their greatest challenge yet as the the enigmatic, intergalactic herald, the Silver Surfer, comes to Earth to prepare it for destruction. I'm excited about this sequel because the first movie was fun. I'm sure there'd be a lot of comedy antics again between Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm. This movie comes out this June in Philippine cinemas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.