Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Postscripts on American Idol

HAIL TO JORDIN
This season's Idol finale was reminiscent of season three, where Fantasia competed against Diana. The better singer against the lovable performer. You already have an inkling who would win. Although I was betting on Blake Lewis, it was clear that Jordin Sparks, backed by favorable forecasts from the three judges, would inevitably be singing This Is My Now at the Kodak Theater.

And, indeed, Jordin's near flawless performance propelled her to becoming the fourth female American Idol.

LACKLUSTER SHOW
I don't know what's wrong with the Finale Results Show. The energy seemed very low. I was expecting a lot because it was a really memorable season ender last year. But I was disappointed. Aside from the Sgt. Pepper medley, none of the other production numbers seemed to hit the bullseye. Even Kelly Clarkson's number didn't have too much impact. In fact, I enjoyed the African Children's Choir more.

But, I have to give it to the show's producers for getting the previous Idol winners on one stage. Too bad, Fantasia was amiss. Carrie looked gorgeous. Taylor, as always, was infectious. Ruben had a great presence matched by great vocals. And Kelly, well, she was the Goddess up there.

TENSION ONSTAGE
It was a relief to see label head Clive Davis applauding Kelly after her performance. But it felt a bit obvious that he still has some grudge against the original Idol. Especially after he took the liberty to shower Carrie Underwood with praises in his short speech. He even managed to divert the limelight off the the pending results by giving an award to his new favorite.

But why? Well, Davis was unhappy with Clarkson's new rock-heavy direction in her album My December. Clarkson allegedly told him she no longer needed his help finding songs for her since she would write her own material. In fairness to Kelly, most of the songs in her latest album are potential number one singles. Give her a break, Clive!

THIS IS MY NOW
Jordin cemented her victory by singing the winner of the Idol songwriting competition. It's called This is My Now. Blake struggled with it, as the genre didn't suit him. But the song was nice. Here are some of the words: This is my now, and I am breathing in the moment. As I look around, I can't believe the love I see. My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts. That was then, this is my now. And I have the courage like never before. I've settled for less, now I'm ready for more

BLAKE LEWIS' IDOL AUDITION


JORDIN SPARKS' IDOL AUDITION

No comments: