Friday, April 27, 2007

Taking the First Steps


I resigned from work in January as Subject Matter Expert at VXI. I stayed there for seven months. I was already eyeing my second promotion, either as a Trainer or Team Supervisor. My prospects looked good. I was getting a big salary already, and a second promotion will ensure bigger incentives plus another increase.

So, why the heck did i quit my job, you might ask.

I resigned from the call center because I got accepted at GMA 7, a major Philippine TV network. I decided to grab the break and pursue my passion and my long time dream. I will undergo a rigorous 36 hours training under Don Michael Perez, writer of hit TV shows Mulawin, Captain Barbell and Asian Treasures. After that will be a one month follow through session, and then the transition to the Concept Development Group that serves as the brain of all the GMA Primetime shows.

The pay is a measly one third of what i was getting from VXI, but the chance to do what makes me really happy was too tempting to pass. I have this one shot opportunity and i am determined to succeed. Resigning from work was a huge sacrifice, but it was a price i was willing to pay to finally make it as a writer. All roads led to GMA. I can hear the words from Whitney Houston's song, "it's time for me to do it on my own."

I'm excited and scared at the same time. As a graduate of computer engineering, I have no formal training or education in writing. I only learned from experience, from all those plays i wrote for my theater group. When I won a screenplay writing contest, i was able to affirm my talent. But writing for TV is a different playing field. I am a certified neophyte. Frankly, i don't know what to expect.


No comments: